On Monday, December 10, 2012, the Hispanic Marketing Library published the first FREE Biweekly Newsletter. The FREE HML Biweekly Newsletter is a well-referenced digest of recent Web posts important to marketers targeting the Latinos in the U.S. In short, the newsletter is a time-saving alternative to Web searching.
The 12/10/12 newsletter featured a post titled “Nielsen: Latinos Are Fundamental to Business and Not Going Anywhere.” The post was published in the Hispanic Marketing Blog (Mercury Mambo) website, was authored by Aaron Yeats, and was dated Thursday, November 29, 2012. The post referred to a report titled “State of the Hispanic Consumer: the Hispanic Market Imperative” that was released by Nielsen, the renowned research house, earlier this year.
The Nielsen report noted that:
- The Hispanics' buying power will grow to $1.5 trillion by 2015.
- The top Hispanic markets are Los Angeles, New York, Miami, Houston, Dallas, and Chicago.
- 56% of Hispanic adults speak primarily Spanish at home, 40% speak primarily English, and 4% speak Spanish and English equally. Therein lies the importance of using Spanish to reach Latinos.
- Hispanics are early adopters of emerging technologies. For example, Hispanics spend more time watching videos on the Internet and on mobile phones than non-Hispanics. Therein lies the significance of using multiple channels to reach Latinos.
- Hispanics make less shopping trips than non-Hispanics but spend more per trip.
- For haircare and other health and beauty products, Hispanics spend more per household than non-Hispanics.
- Hispanics recall English-language commercials as well as non-Hispanics. However, Spanish-language commercials increase recall by 30%. Again, therein lies the importance of using Spanish to reach Latinos.
FREE Hispanic Marketing Newsletter
The FREE HML Biweekly Newsletter is a well-referenced digest of recent Web posts important to marketing managers targeting Hispanic Americans. In short, the newsletter is a time-saving alternative to Web searching.
For a FREE sample of the HML Biweekly Newsletter or
to subscribe FREE to the HML Biweekly Newsletter, please click here:
Dr. Anthony (Dr. T.) Rodriguez
Nielsen. (2012). State of the Hispanic consumer: The Hispanic market imperative. New York, NY: Author. URL: http://www.nielsen.com
Yeats, A. (2012, November 29). Nielsen: Latinos are fundamental to business success and not going anywhere. Austin, TX: Mercury Mambo. URL: http://www.mercurymambo.com